Hello, I am Vanetta Keyes, the Founder & Executive Director of C.H.O.I.C.E.S. and this is my very first blog post. I wanted to share with you the journey I started this morning, a journey to better health through the PALA+ Challenge.
I know some of you have heard us mention this challenge before, but for those who have not… PALA stands for Presidential Active Lifestyle Award, a national campaign to increase physical activity and improve eating habits. Here's how it works: each week you will choose a different nutrition goal including: increasing whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean protein, water intake, reducing sodium, and monitoring portion size. Then make a commitment to weekly physical activity: 30 mins, 5 days a week for adults, and 60 mins, 5 days a week for kids ages 6-17. Not only will you receive an award for reaching your goals but by joining C.H.O.I.C.E.S.' Let's Move! Atlanta Team, you can show the world just what the entire Metro Atlanta Area can do when we work together!
This morning I made a commitment, got up early and went for a walk with my dog, Sophie. She was confused and excited when I jumped out of bed and reached for her leash and my sneakers, but she will get used to it. This challenge is about to become a family affair. I logged into my PALA account at www.presidentschallenge.org and added my physical activity for the day (there are so many options to choose, from walking to strength training, to house cleaning - it's not hard to find an activity you love), then I picked a nutrition goal. My nutrition goal this week is to track my sodium intake, with the amount of hidden sodium in many foods I thought this would be a great goal to start with.
And that's it! Couldn't be any easier to start on your path to better health. So let's get started together…
1. Go to www.presidentschallenge.org.
2. Click on REGISTER NOW in the top right hand corner.
3. Click on CREATE AN INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT in the center of the page.
4. Select a username, passwork, and enter basic information. Click to accept the terms of service and click REGISTER.
5. Choose a challenge. Select PRESIDENTIAL ACTIVE LIFESTYLE AWARD (PALA+) CHALLENGE and click SUBMIT.
6. Click on GROUPS.
7. Go to SEARCH GROUPS and enter Let's Move! Atlanta then click SUBMIT.
8. Click on Let's Move! Atlanta in the search results.
9. Click JOIN THIS GROUP under the C.H.O.I.C.E.S. 10 Year Anniversary Logo.
10. YOU DID IT! Connect with others in the group and compare your points to others. Click on TRACKER to select nutrition goals and track daily exercise.
For assistance getting started with C.H.O.I.C.E.S.' Let's Move! Atlanta Group, email firstname.lastname@example.org. And keep up with the C.H.O.I.C.E.S. blog for more updates on my personal challenge, and great fitness and nutrition tips to keep you motivated.