Hello, I am Vanetta Keyes, the Founder & Executive Director of C.H.O.I.C.E.S. and I am working on earning a Presidential Active Lifestyle Award this summer. I hope by sharing my journey on the PALA+ Challenge, many of you will join me on the path to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I know I have already inspired several people at the C.H.O.I.C.E.S.' home office to join me (some are even going to start posting here on the blog to tell their story). I am so excited to see our Let's Move Atlanta group grow on www.presidentschallenge.org.
I know some of you have heard us mention this challenge before, but for those who have not… PALA stands for Presidential Active Lifestyle Award, a national campaign to increase physical activity and improve eating habits. Here's how it works: each week you will choose a different nutrition goal including: increasing whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean protein, water intake, reducing sodium, and monitoring portion size. Then make a commitment to weekly physical activity: 30 mins, 5 days a week for adults, and 60 mins, 5 days a week for kids ages 6-17. Not only will you receive an award for reaching your goals but by joining C.H.O.I.C.E.S.' Let's Move! Atlanta Team, you can show the world just what the entire Metro Atlanta Area can do when we work together!
I just completed by first week on the PALA challenge and was active six days in my first week of PALA. I must confess I was a bit concerned with it being the holiday and my daughter’s graduation weekend but it was so easy. The buddy system really works! I have to give a big thank you to Pam who volunteered to meet me at the gym three of those days. I played tennis two days and we all know my dog Sophie was always ready for an extended walk around the block. I tracked my sodium intake for the week and it’s really tough to stay under 1500mg without eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. I also came across some really interesting sodium facts which I will post about later this week.
We now have 28 members in our group and it couldn't be any easier to start on your path to better health. Please log on and join me in the PALA+ Challenge and don't forget to share your comments here and on our Let's Move Atlanta group. I'd love to know what activities you're completing each week and will even take your suggestions on nutrition and fitness activities I can try. Get started today…
1. Go to www.presidentschallenge.org.
2. Click on REGISTER NOW in the top right hand corner.
3. Click on CREATE AN INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT in the center of the page.
4. Select a username, passwork, and enter basic information. Click to accept the terms of service and click REGISTER.
5. Choose a challenge. Select PRESIDENTIAL ACTIVE LIFESTYLE AWARD (PALA+) CHALLENGE and click SUBMIT.
6. Click on GROUPS.
7. Go to SEARCH GROUPS and enter Let's Move! Atlanta then click SUBMIT.
8. Click on Let's Move! Atlanta in the search results.
9. Click JOIN THIS GROUP under the C.H.O.I.C.E.S. 10 Year Anniversary Logo.
10. YOU DID IT! Connect with others in the group and compare your points to others. Click on TRACKER to select nutrition goals and track daily exercise.
For assistance getting started with C.H.O.I.C.E.S.' Let's Move! Atlanta Group, email firstname.lastname@example.org. And keep up with the C.H.O.I.C.E.S. blog for more updates on my personal challenge, and great fitness and nutrition tips to keep you motivated.